This problem is related to the previous article I wrote about loading text-mode drivers into a Windows XP installation source added to a Windows Deployment Toolkit (formerly called BDD) distribution share. Because of an incompatibility between Windows XP and the way that Windows PE formats the hard drive by default, many users will find that, after the PE portion of the installation completes, the operating system will fail to load off the hard drive. Johan Arwidmark over at deployvista.com has written a fantastic tutorial with a simple solution to the problem, which can be overcome without changing anything on the target PC.
XP is a version of Microsoft Windows that preceeded Windows Vista and remained popular until well into the release of Windows 7. Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft.
I’m sure someone else has run into this problem: while using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (formerly known as Business Deployment Desktop) to deploy Windows XP, everything seems to be working just fine until Windows PE finishes it’s portion of the setup wherein it copies the Windows XP setup files to your hard drive; then when the XP text-mode setup begins, it fails to recognize the drive. This most commonly occurs on systems with SATA drives or a RAID configuration. The solution is to load the text-mode drivers for the device as you would during an individual install of the operating system. You might be thrown off by the fact that the text-mode setup started by the Deployment Toolkit never prompts for additional drivers. How do you get around this? Integrate the drivers directly into your operating system source using a tool called nLite.
- Monday-Friday: 7am to 6pm
- Saturday: 7am to 6pm
- Sunday: Closed
- This is great! I was trying to create an automated visual...May 16, 2019 - 11:59 AM by KC
- I'm having trouble with the syntax in line 14. I'd like...July 31, 2018 - 12:53 PM by Robert Logan
- […] Website Design […]December 29, 2017 - 12:40 PM by SEO Starter Guide 2017 | Reich Web Consulting
- […] that it’s a no-brainer to hire one company to...March 17, 2017 - 8:13 AM by Questions to Ask to Find a Web Designer | Reich Web Consulting