Call it frugality. Call it insanity. Call it what you will, but I’m converting my computers that I use for my consulting business to Linux. That’s right, I’m a Microsoft Certified computer consultant whose going to switch to Linux. Actually, I’ll go one step further: I’m going to try to switch completely to Free Software. This means:
- I will install and use Ubuntu Linux as my operating system.
- I will use OpenOffice.org as my office suite.
- I will use Evolution for email, calendars, and contact management.
- I will try to find and use a Free Software alternative to QuickBooks to manage my business accounts.
- I will try to find and use Free Software alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite.
- I will try to find and use a Free Software alternative to Virtual PC, so I can install Windows 7 and Server 2008 into virtual machines for my Microsoft training.
I’m pretty darn goods with computers, but this will be a daunting, quite possibly annoying, and maybe even futile task even for me. So I invite you to come along and gawk at the train wreck I’m about to embark upon…